Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Grace Schacterle








Grace Schacterle
Unconventional Beauty
2021
Foam, plaster, wax, oil paint, pressed flowers
14 x 9.5 x 17.5 in

Unconventional Beauty is a piece to represent all of the people who don't have a body type that is deemed beautiful by society. It has been ingrained in our minds since birth that in order to be beautiful, you must be skinny, fit, and have all the right proportions. But in reality, the majority of people do not look like that. I made this sculpture to show people that those who do not meet society's ridiculous beauty standards are still beautiful. I wanted to show that the body type that many people think is unattractive, such as having features as a larger stomach, hip dips, back rolls, and textured skin, are still beautiful. I chose to incorporate wax and flowers into this sculpture because candles and flowers are two of the things I keep in my apartment to look at and experience because they look nice and make me feel good. And I wanted this piece to be something that looks nice and makes people feel good. The melting wax represents getting rid of society's expectations of us. And the flowers represent blossoming into who we are. I pressed them because I wanted to show how even when society and peoples' opinions crush us, we are still here and whole, and we are still beautiful. Unconventional Beauty is about showing people that every body is beautiful.













 







No comments: