Monday, November 30, 2020

Spencer Maussner

 





Spencer Maussner

Heat
Steel, vinyl, acrylic paint, clamps
32.25" x 32.25" x 2.25"
Working from home with tools at my house has been a different experience. Using a stick welder on my driveway definitely had some negatives but I feel confident in the welds that I was able to create. Sometimes I get random ideas that I feel really strongly compelled to work on. This one was to create a "canvas" out of steel and a vinyl sheet. The most difficult part of the process where I experienced the most trial and error was the stretching process. I tried stretching the vinyl with bungee cords that only ended up ripping the sheet and I even tried sewing it around the back of the framework with thread only to find that the tension made it rip. I decided on using tiny rubber tipped clamps and I liked how non permanent it made the painting on the front. I ended up with a big square steel frame that now has the option to remove the vinyl covering with the painting.

No comments: