Friday, November 16, 2018

Cynthia Yoo



"Comforter"
2018
4' 6" x 3' 1"
materials: cardboard, tape, staples,










This piece is a quilt created from cardboard boxes of particular Korean food items found at my family’s market. I have always been very fascinated with the bright and fun package designs of imported foods that I grew up eating. Although these boxes might be considered trash to the casual onlooker, they represent my father’s hard work and sacrifices for the past 17 years in America to sustain my family. His aching muscles and lack of holidays is my opportunity to live a comfortable life while also carrying out his American dream. This sculpture has elements of familial values embedded in different levels: from the conceived idea to the process of creating it. When I was struggling to sew the cardboard together, my mother came to walk me through the process and told me her own stories growing up at a cleaners. 



No comments: