Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Jamie Noce




Henry
2014
Reclaimed racing shells, steel
12' x 3' x 3'

             Rowing is all about fluid motion and moving with one another in tandem to make the boat move as fast as possible. My aim for Henry was to completely transform the way I view something I am so personally connected with using the racing shell segments as the vessel of my idea.  
            As an artist mainly working within the theme of the multiple, I used three boat segments rather than just one.  Each segment represents one part of the boat: stern, middle and bow, and how they function together to portray one idea, similarly to how eight rowers and a coxswain work towards one common goal.  With this piece, I was most interested in transforming the fluid, horizontal motion into something static and vertical. The minimalist form points to how simple rowing can seem from an outside viewer, but the grand scale of Henry amplifies how different something can look from another angle, especially when transformed from six inches off of the water, to twelve feet overhead. 

No comments: